Wednesday, January 25, 2012

What is the significance of the half dress worn by Gogo and half by Didi in Beckette's Waiting for Godot?

I need help in this regard. Your ideas can help me a lot in my test next week. By the way, it is meant for my phd.What is the significance of the half dress worn by Gogo and half by Didi in Beckette's Waiting for Godot?
Sigmund Freud believed that the two characters represented the ego and the id....Beckett himself tired quickly of "the endless misunderstanding". As far back as 1955, he remarked, "Why people have to complicate a thing so simple I can't make out. I don't know who Godot is. I don't even know (above all don't know) if he exists. And I don't know if they believe in him or not 鈥?those two who are waiting for him. The other two who pass by towards the end of each of the two acts, that must be to break up the monotony. All I knew I showed. It's not much, but it's enough for me, by a wide margin. I'll even say that I would have been satisfied with less. As for wanting to find in all that a broader, loftier meaning to carry away from the performance, along with the program and the Eskimo pie, I cannot see the point of it. But it must be possible ... Estragon, Vladimir, Pozzo, Lucky, their time and their space, I was able to know them a little, but far from the need to understand. Maybe they owe you explanations. Let them supply it. Without me. They and I are through with each other."



Beckett once recalled a time when Sir Ralph Richardson "wanted the low-down on Pozzo, his home address and curriculum vitae, and seemed to make the forthcoming of this and similar information the condition of his condescending to illustrate the part of Vladimir ... I told him that all I knew about Pozzo was in the text, that if I had known more I would have put it in the text, and that was true also of the other characters."

No comments:

Post a Comment